Saturday, January 17, 2009

4:8

God has given me a new, better way to enjoy the day.

A couple of years ago, just before we started out on the foster care journey, God gave me words to live by: "Better obedient than comfortable." I posted these words where I would see them often. This thought is really what kept me going through some very difficult days.

Not too long ago, though, He replaced that phrase with something new, Philippians 4:8: "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." 

I'm convinced (and convicted): He wants me to stop getting through the days and start enjoying them. My days of being a blessing to the girls have turned into days of being blessed by them. They're a gift—the kind of wonderful gift only He can give. It's time to be thankful.

I'm also convinced (and convicted): He wants me to give the girls my admiration, praise, and acceptance. They need this from their mom (me). Not only do I need to have an attitude of seeking out and pondering the true, the pure, the praiseworthy, but I need to speak it into their lives as well.

The irony (isn't God so ironic?) is that I have long used Philippians  4:6-7 to "get through." I memorized these verses years ago, and I recite them in times of worry:

Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

But, I didn't memorize verses 4, 5 and 8. I should have.

4  Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

5  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

8  Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
    whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, 
    whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—
    think about such things.

May you have a 4:8 year.  

1 comment: