A number of years ago, a young girl known as Little Annie was locked in the dungeon of a mental institution outside Boston—the only place, said the doctors, for the hopelessly insane. At times, Annie behaved like an animal, attacking anyone who came close to her cage. At other times, she just sat in a daze.
An elderly nurse held hope for all God's children, and she began taking her lunch break in the dungeon, just outside Little Annie's cage. She hoped to somehow communicate love to her. One day she left her dessert—a brownie—next to Annie's cage. There was no response from Annie, but the next day, the nurse found the brownie had been eaten. Every Thursday thereafter, she brought a brownie to Annie.
As the weeks passed, doctors noticed a change in Little Annie. After several months, they moved her upstairs. And eventually, the day came when this supposedly hopeless case was told she could return home. By that time Annie was an adult, however, and she chose to stay at the institution to help others. One of those for whom she cared, taught, and nurtured was Hellen Keller. Little Annie's full and proper name was Anne Sullivan.
Your children become the embodiment of the love you pour into them. Pour generously!
I needed this reminder: it's not the instruction or the correction I give my children that matters most; it's the love. Let there be more of that today.



1 comment:
Wow! Thank you for that timely reminder. I feel like I'm lecture woman lately....
Post a Comment